The Finger (1947?)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Jan 14 17:55:53 UTC 2002

Fred Shapiro on  Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:59:18  wrote:

>"Melting pot" is a hot-metal metaphor, not a food metaphor.  <

Even though this expression seems to have developed a culinary association,
I agree with Fred about its original meaning.  This later association
probably  reflects  our diminishing experience of industrial processes.
Even middle class kids would still 50 & 60 years ago be familiar with the
images of heavy industry, through educational films. [What a lark that was,
when the shades would be drawn, the projector rolled in & the classroom
darkened for some instructive movie!]
A. Murie