Cane Juice (1931); SF Restaurants

Donald M Lance lancedm at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Jan 25 15:40:38 UTC 2002

I've always been puzzled by the construction.  Is it "the priest of Judas"
(possessive), which would anachronistically be Jesus himself?  Or does the
expression ironically bestow priesthood on Judas?  Or is it just a complex
set of phonetic metatheses and substitutions (z --> d; k --> p, [ai] -->
[i]?  I assume the latter, with no apostrophe.
DMLance