"so don't I"

Tue Jan 29 17:44:32 UTC 2002

Whereas "I could care less" is transparent, even out of context (to most of
us anyway), "so don't I" isn't.  When I first heard it years ago, I assumed
it meant "Neither do I," until context made this obviously wrong.  It's
dialectal (extending into New York State too?), and like many dialect
features might not be considered stylistically inappropriate in the home
area, even in headlines.  A similarly non-noticed feature in the South
Midland is the much-discussed p.p. + -ed/-en (needs washed, needs done),
which appears regularly in headlines in southern Ohio.