Stick to Business, Pozhalsta

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Jul 29 17:11:10 UTC 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:

#At 12:25 PM -0400 7/29/02, Mark A Mandel wrote:
        [re: Yid. "pupik"]
#>Navel.
#>
#We used it to describe a little edible thing on a broiled (or
#otherwise cooked) chicken.  I'm sure it wasn't a belly button, but it
#wasn't giblets either (those we removed before cooking and wouldn't
#have eaten anyway).  Pupik/Pupek is definitely 'belly button, navel'
#in Yiddish (pupik oranges, anyone?), but at least in our family there
#seems to have been this metaphorical extension.  Anyone else recall
#anything similar?

Oh, yeah. Now that you mention it, yup. From my wife's Yiddish-speaking
kin.

And ISTR reading somewhere somebody saying that her Protestant/CofE
family called it the "Pope's nose", and was amused to learn that her
Catholic friend's family called it the "preacher's? vicar's? nose"
(whichever side of the Water it was, I don't recall).

-- Mark A. Mandel