Nosh; All Things Considered

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Jun 6 20:15:59 UTC 2002

My only guess is that it might be related to the Persian "nosh"= "drink".
I can't explain the -ta or what it would mean. It only appears as a loan
word in Turkish where the -ta could be a locative suffix, but that doesn't
make much sense.

allen

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> NOSH
>
> A JOURNEY THROUGH PERSIA, ARMENIA, AND ASIA MINOR,
> TON CONSTANTINOPLE, IN THE YEARS 1808 and 1809
> by James Morier
> Philadelphia: published by M. Carey, and Wells & Lilly, Boston
> 1816
>

> Pg. 286:  On his arrival he eats his choshta, or intermediate meal, and
  then sleeps.  At sunset he takes another repast (his noshta); and his
  servants then pack up every thing ready for his departure next morning.
> (Nosh?  OED has that from 1917 as a noun, 1957 as a verb.  What does
  "noshta" mean?--ed.)