Kebutzah (1926); Schmooze (1902); Ich gebibble (1915)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 16 01:39:04 UTC 2002

KEBUTZAH

THE JEWISH NATIONAL HOME
by Isaac Breuer
Francfort-on-the-Maine: J. Kauffmann
1926

Pg. 37:  The simplest peasant of any Kebutzah, tilling the ground by the
sweat of his brow, appeared to them worthier than the prophet Jeremiah, whose
word re-echoes through the centuries.

Pg. 38:  But the Kebutzah recognized neither God nor the Torah, and the
tender flame was soon crushed out by hard work.

(OED has 1931 for "kibbutz."  The JERUSALEM NEWS, 1919-1920, is in the annex,
and I'll get it on Tuesday and check for this and other terms...I went
through a lot of Jewish National Fund publications without finding an earlier
"kibbutz"--ed.)

SCHMOOZE

NEITHER JEW NOR GREEK:  A STORY OF JEWISH SOCIAL LIFE
by Violet Guttenberg
London: Chatto & Windus
1902

   OED has an 1897 "schmoos," but the next citations are 1921 and 1939.

Pg. 6:  When these girls get _chosanim_*...
*Bridegrooms.

Pg. 37:  ...most _goyeshka_* fellows...
*Gentile.

Pg. 40:  ..._kosher_* food...
*Ritually clean.

Pg. 49:  ..._Yomtovim_*...
*Jewish holydays.

Pg. 51:  ..._Yiddishkeit_*...
*Pertaining to Judaism.

Pg. 52:  ..._bar mitzvah_*...
*Confirmation.

Pg. 60:  ...with either Dinah of Victor to act as "gooseberry."

Pg. 63:  ..._Yom Kippur_*...
*Day of Atonement.

Pg. 65:  ..._yomtovdic_* clothes...
*Festive.

Pg. 78:  ...mazzletov_*...
*Congratulation.

Pg. 116:  ...a nice chosan* for you...
*Bridegroom.

Pg. 145:  ..._shabbos_*..._geld_*...
*Sabbath.
**Money.

Pg. 154:  ...poor Yidden* there...
*Jews.

Pg. 154:  Dinah had grown into a very stylish girl, with plenty of what her
mother called _chein_.*
*Smart wit.

Pg. 167:  He was what they call "game for anything," so full of activity, so
humorous in his ways...

Pg. 192:  He would sit _shiva_*...
*Mourning.

Pg. 200: "_M'shumador_!"* she exclaimed laconically...
*Converted Jewess.

Pg. 208:  ..._Shabbos_*..._Yomtov_**...
*Sabbath.
**Holy-days.

Pg. 211:  Here they could chat, or _schmooze_,* as they called it, to their
heart's content.
*Converse with familiarity.

ICH GEBIBBLE

LAPIDOWITZ THE SCHNORRER
by Bruno Lessing
New York: Hearst's International Library Co.
1915

   The RHHDAS H-O has a TAD 1913 spelling similar to this, then 1915.  It is
the last line of this book.

Pg. 50:  "Are you _meshuga_ (crazy)?"

Pg. 348:  "Ich gebibble," he chuckled.