200 words for snow; Alaska Place Names

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 27 04:16:41 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Denali.  Congrats to Jesse for the ad.  Me, I'm still cursing out my broker for getting me to buy Worldcom.

200 WORDS FOR SNOW

   I visited Wasilla, AK, the home of the Iditarod.  In the video BEYOND COURAGE, someone said that there are "200 words for snow."  If you want more on the video, it's iditarod at iditarod.com.  You can tell them how many words there are for wrong.

ALASKA PLACE NAMES

   I was asked about this.  I was shown (at the visitors bureau) the 1967 book by Don Orth, and there have been minor revisions in 1971.  On the cover was a note to call 562-6277 for a book DICTIONARY OF AK PLACE NAMES.  I don't know if this is the same book or not.