Mountain Mothers & Moose Dropping; Tomazzo

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 29 21:14:42 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Seward, Alaska.

MOOSE DROPPING--The second weekend in July, Talkeetna hosts an Annual Moose
Dropping Festival.  There are jokes and buttons throughout the festival such
as, "How high do we drop the moose??"

MOUNTAIN MOTHER--There is a Mountain Mother Contest at the Moose Dropping
Festival.  Women compete at several tasks that "mountain mothers" presumably
do.  (And to think that I'll have to miss this Talkeetna Moose
Dropping-Mountain Mother Festival.)

GLACIAL FLOUR--Finely ground rock.  Seen on a Parks sign at the Exit Glacier,
and not in OED.

TOMAZZO--At The Great American Bagel & Bakery in the Seattle airport were
signs, "Ask about our Tomazzo."  "What's a tomazzo?  A plain bagel dipped in
pizza sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese."  Original tomazzo $2.79,
Pepperoni tomazzo $3.59.  USPTO trademark records show first use of February
1996.

PROPS--Safire's column this Sunday declares that "props" is new word that's
sweeping the country.  He just heard it?  Just now?  How out of touch is he?
Not mentioned is Aretha Franklin's classic "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.," with the line
"give me my propers."  Amazing...Speaking of the TIMES, what does full text
have for General Tso?

MENUS MISC.
   From the Alaska Cadillac Cafe:

SAND DOLLARS--Smoke salmon cream cheese upon roasted rounds topped with red
onions for spice and color.
SHEEP PIZZA--Rosemary and garlic infused olive oil brushed over pizza bread
with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses--the house specialty.
Brew City Fries--(Beer-battered fries!--ed.)
Colony Cheese Fries
Brew City Onion Rings
Chili Cheese Fries
   PIZZA COMBOS:
HONOLULU PINEAPPLE
TRADITIONAL PEPPER
TRADITIONAL OLIVE SUPREME
PESTO VEGGIE
MEDITERRANEAN VEGGIE SUPREME
GREEK
CHICKEN FEATHERS
PEST CHICKEN
LITTLE ITALY
TACO
MATANUSKA SUNSET
ALASKA BACHELOR
YUKON HERDER
ALSKA BARBECUE
EURO-CANADIAN TOURIST--rosemary olive oil, Canaidan bacon and feta
CAVEMAN
ROCKY REACH
SPORTSMAN'S POINT