Query: "ground-rent man" (baseball, 1908)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 30 16:27:59 UTC 2002

At 8:15 AM -0500 6/30/02, Gerald Cohen wrote [quoting a contemporary
report on Tris Speaker]:
>   During the world's series last fall
>he was voted the most useful player to his team in the American
>League and was presented with an automobile in recognition of his
>clever work, both as batter and fielder."
>*********

I don't know about cleverness, but he is still generally recognized
as possibly the outstanding fielder among all centerfielders in the
history of the game, competing for the honor with DiMaggio and Mays.
Great fielders in Red Sox history have been few and far between,
although Joe DiMag's brother Dom was another fine ballhawk out in CF
at Fenway.  (I'll steer clear of what comes out of left, or right,
field.)