Pancake Rocks & Stylobedding

Fri Mar 1 16:24:07 UTC 2002

The more common term, at least in the States, is
stylolite; from Greek stylos - column.  A form of
bedding or stratification where there is irregular or
penetrating contact between beds, as opposed to the
more typical uniform, often near-planar contact.  One
type of stylolite is caused by selective dissolution
in limestone under pressure, which leaves behind thin,
irregular, wavy layers of less soluble material, often
having a distinct color - these thin layers are
themselves referred to as stylolites.  On many
polished limestone slabs, such as on floors or walls,
these stylolites are often what gives the rock its
character - look for thin, dark, convoluted lines.

Disturbance of layered sediment before it has
consolidated can cause slumps, bulges, flows,
injections, and other irregular features that are
preserved as the material lithifies.

=====