Lollies (candies)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Mar 2 14:03:25 UTC 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, sagehen wrote:

#Barry Popik lists,  among other lollies, "Aniseed balls."  There is a grand
#scene in one of Arther W. Upfield books in which Det. Napoleon Bonaparte
#lures a whole string of dogs into a tunnel trap by dragging an aniseed ball
#on a string behind him as he tears around on a motorbike. I always wondered
#just what they were.   The smell was supposed to be irresistible to the
#dogs.  I never noticed any dog I knew taking  an interest in anise.
#Barry, did you try one?

Is "aniseed" = "anise"? "Celery root" (= celeriac) != "celery".

OK, AHD4 defines it (alt. sp. of "anise seed") as 'The seedlike fruit of
the anise'.

-- Mark M.