of likely interest to NYers only -- the voice revealed

Clark Whelton cwhelton at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Mar 12 22:48:38 UTC 2002

In consultation with Michael Newman, I finally tracked down one of the
people whose recorded voice is heard on the new IRT subway cars in NYC
("Stand clear of the closing doors, please").  His name is Charlie Pellett
of Bloomberg News.  Before Mike Bloomberg was elected mayor, he apparently
volunteered the professionals at Bloomberg radio for the recording of
automated subway announcements at no cost to the city.  Charlie Pellett has
a distinctive way of  pronouncing "doors" (doe-ers).  And he wasn't born in
America.  He wrote:

"We had an opportunity to volunteer here at Bloomberg.   I jumped at the
chance (being an avid mass transit user and advocate) and started recording
the list of subway change announcements, including the "Stand Clear of the
Closing Doors" announcement.

Other voices from our radio station used in the subway system are Melissa
Kleiner (#5 train); Dianne Thompson (#2 train) and Jessica Ettinger (#6)
train.

Now where was I born?  Great Britain!  Came over as a teenager and imitated
people on radio to get RID of the accent! Thought you'd be amused!!!!"

# # #