intransitive "represent"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 15 13:42:58 UTC 2002

One can easily represent a group by simply being a participant, but
to represent means to do it with style, with class, by being the
best.

--- Mai Kuha <mkuha at BSUVC.BSU.EDU> wrote:
> From the examples I've heard, I got the impression that there is a
> difference in meaning--e.g. a runner who is dead last in a race
> still
> represents a group, but doesn't represent. Analyzing the form as a
> transitive "represent" without a surface object would seem to imply
> that
> the meanings are as similar as "eat" vs. "eat dinner". Of course, I
> could
> easily be totally wrong about the meaning distinction.
>
> -Mai
>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 P2052 at AOL.COM wrote:
>
> > I've heard "represent" used quite often without a surface object;
> however,
> > since in all of the cases, the object was understood (or
> elsewhere supplied),
> > I considered "represent" not intransitive, but, rather,
> transitive, followed
> > by an elliptical NP.
> > EXAMPLE: I'm the only male in the choir, so I have to represent .
> . . [all
> > males].
> >
> P-A-T
> >

> _________________________________
> Mai Kuha                mkuha at bsuvc.bsu.edu
> Department of English   (765) 285-8410
> Ball State University

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com