regional food

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 28 18:49:13 UTC 2002

MWCD10 dates "canola" as 1979 and "canola oil" as 1986.

when did the custom of selling "extra virgin olive oil" begin?

"blackened" and possibly other terms from Cajun cuisine, which may have
become widespread in the last 20 years

when was "cookie dough ice cream" introduced?

How long has McDonald's been selling "Shamrock shakes" [for]?

Now for some local food items:

"monkey bread", which my daughter describes as "cinnamon and butter and
sugar, like dough, not really baked, really really sweet" is supposed to have
been invented recently at a shop on the Ocean City boardwalk.  (Ocean City is
on the island next south from Atlantic City).  Also a type of popcorn called
"kettle corn", but my daughter can't remember what's in it.

A local Chinese restaurant, now out of business, sold "Chinese pizza" which
was quite good but more like an enchilada than a pizza

a traveling carnival (I'm not sure of the name, but it may be G. S. Cole
Shows) has a refreshment stand which sells a "blooming onion", which is a way
of quick-frying an entire onion.  The top of the onion is cut into a petal
shape, hence "blooming", but I haven't been to that carnival in years and
don't remember anything else about the dish.

    - Jim Landau