"At Large in the Blogosphere" in tomorrow's Times

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Sun May 5 23:24:19 UTC 2002

Laurence Horn wrote:

> No, not Safire, but the Book Review, whose "Close Reader" column
> (inside back cover, p. 31) by Judith Shulevitz under the above title
> is all about blogs (<weblogs, an interesting morphologically opaque
> truncation we may have previously discussed) and bloggers.  (A blog
> is 'an on-line news commentary written, usually, by an ordinary
> citizen, thick with links to articles and other blogs and studded
> with non sequiturs and ripostes in sometimes hard-to-parse
> squabbles.) There's also a cite of a reference by Alex Beam in the
> Boston Globe to "Blogistan":  "the Internet-based journalistic medium
> where no thought goes unpublished, no long-out-of-print book goes
> unhawked..."

One of my articles, earlier this year, covered cutting edge blogs
and the history thereof:
<http://www.computerbits.com/archive/2002/0200/blogs.html>. The
article goes into some detail about the first days of blogs and
whether Tim Berners-Lee's World Wide Web News (Jan 1992) was the
first blog or whether Mosaic's What's New page (1993) has a
better claim to being a "real" blog.

Jorn Barger, though, lays claim to being the first to use the
label "weblog" for his Robot Wisdom Weblog back in December 1997.
Soon that term was shortened to the "blogs" that are taking over
the Web today.

Sal
--
useful links for writers: