PS on "squick"

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon May 6 01:11:59 UTC 2002

This from the lois-bujold list. One poster (not quoted here) used the
word w.r.t. reactions to particular scenes in this author's Miles
Vorkosigan novels. Another, "T", commented on that, and "M" replied to
"T":

"T":
 I don't know if "squick" is the best word here, since my reaction to
those scenes isn't based on physical disgust, but more a sort of
exasperated "How could you be so _stupid_, you cad!" feeling.

"M":
 Tony questions my use of squick.  It's definitely correct for me, at
least in the sense of being physically grossed out, in terms of the
kitten tree and Mark's torture.

        =====

So we see that for both of these posters, "squick" need not refer to
disgust or revulsion at a specifically sexual activity at all.

-- Mark A. Mandel