"on the D.L."

positive pcr positive_pcr at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 6 02:59:28 UTC 2002

The expression "on the down low" today--in some circles--has an additional
connotation of describing an African-American male who has sex with other
men on the side but who would not necessarily describe himself as
homosexual. "Keeping it on the down low..." "DL Brotha" Numerous references
in print and on the net. I'd be interested in knowing when and where this
connotation originated.