"I just love me some X": a new construction?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue May 7 15:06:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Lynne Murphy wrote:

#I don't think it's entirely pleonastic, since I don't think
#'I love me some Jude Law' and 'I love Jude Law' are strictly synonymous.
#My interpretation of this has always been that the 'some' indicates that
#'Jude Law' is not referring simply to a certain beautiful creature, but to
#the experience of said beautiful creature.

        [...]

#Am I alone in this reading?

No; and you've articulated nicely what I couldn't put my fihnger on.
(Speakihng of which, this borrowed comoputer with its ergonomic split
keyboard is doing funny things to my typing.)

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large