"Make no little plans"

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Wed May 8 23:10:02 UTC 2002

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    Another NYT error:  It's Daniel Hudson BURNHAM, not BURHAM.  I have told this to the New York Times.  But again, this involves a dead person.  You can spell his name any way you want, or write that he said or did anything without fear of being sued.  So why issue a correction if it's wrong?
>    From FAMILIAR QUOTATIONS by John Bartlett, 16th edition, pg. 555, col. 1:
>
>    _Daniel Hudson Burnham_
>       1846-1912
>    Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.   _Attributed_*
>
> *This quotation is now doubted.  See HENRY M. SAYLOR, "'Make No Little Plans': Daniel Burnham Thought It but Did He Say It?," _Journal of the American Institute of Architects_, 27 (1957): 3.
>
> (Watch your NEW YORK TIMES corrections box, page two, for the next four days--ed.)

Seems to me it was just a copyeditor's mistake as Burnham's name
was spelt correctly a few sentences later. Nothing to fash about.

"He hired Daniel H. Burham, who had been an architectural
consultant to the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and was part of
the Chicago School of architecture. Burnham's genius was to take
advantage of the opportunity presented by the stand-alone site.
Following his motto, "Make no little plans — they have not the
power to stir men's blood," Burnham chose a noble geometric form
and then raised it 21 stories."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/03/arts/design/03ANTI.html>

Sal
--