Tajin (1898)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 10 04:14:11 UTC 2002

MOGRED-EL-ACKSA:
A JOURNEY IN MOROCCO
by R. B. Cunninghame Graham
London: WIlliam Heinemann
1898

Pg. 19 (Footnote--ed.):
*Jehad--religious war--generally applied to a war enetered into from self-interest, as that of America against Spain.

Pg. 48:
   Inside the sanctuary the man was safe, and every day his European friend sent him his food, his (Pg. 49--ed.) "Tajin,"* "Couscousou,"** flat Moorish bread, and green tea (called Windrisi from WIndres, that is London, from whence it comes), seasoned with mint and sweetened with enormous lumps of sugar broken with a hammer from the loaf.
*Tajin literally means "the dish."  It is generally a greasy stew of mutton, soaked with rancid butter and saffron, and seasoned with asafaetida.
**Couscousou is a kind of dry porridge made of grated wheat, stewed, and served up with mutton or chicken, and pieces of boiled pumpkin.

(This is a little earlier "tajin" than posted before...Google shows an even divide for "tagine" and "tajine"...My local Food Emporium has a whole shelf for "Near East" Brand couscous...I re-checked some earlier books on Morocco, and I'm not getting much besides "dish" or "stew" for "tajin"--ed.)