A la carte (1816); Prix fixe: Brie (1617); Making love (1818)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 12 01:14:29 UTC 2002

A LA CARTE

A PICTURE OF PARIS
by Louis Tronchet
Paris: Galignani
1816?

   Re-check the author and the date.  NYPL's catnyp adds the question mark.
   Pages 292-301 offer a nice food selection, including our first "a la
carte."

Pg. 292:  _Restaurateurs and Traiteurs._  (Taverns and Eating-houses.)
   The Restaurateurs furnish breakfasts and dinners in two ways, either at a
fixed price for a certain number of plates which are chosen from a printed
card, in which wine is generally included; the price is from 26 sous
(fourteen-pence) to 12 francs (ten shillings) per head; or, _a la carte_,
that is, from a list in which the price of each article is set down, so that
every person can regulate his expenses.

Pg. 301:  An ice cream...

PRIX FIXE

PARIS...
by Karl Baedeker
Leipsic
1894

Pg. 11:  The "_Diner a Prix-fixe_."

Pg. 15:  _Etablissements de Bouillon._
   These are restaurants of a peculiar kind, founded originally in 1855 by a
butcher named _Duval_.

Pg. 16:  ..._Brasseries_...

Pg. 19:  The _Boulangeries-Patisseries_ are less pretending.

(I chose a later edition of the _PARIS_ BAEDEKER for what would be my
unsuccessful "bistro" search.  All the early Baedekers are available on
microfiche in Columbia's Avery library, so I should be able to beat OED's
1883 "prix fixe," for example, with the 1860s-1870s editions--ed.)

BRIE

OED has 1876 for "brie."

THE TRAVELLER'S GUIDE
Amsterdam: E. Maaskamp
1815

Pg. 35:  The white beer of _Minden_ is famous.
Pg. 109:  Excellent sorts (Pg. 110--ed.) of cheese are made at Meaux under
the name of _fromage de Brie_, which are known through all Europe for their
nice taste.

THE ITINERARY
by Fynes Moryson
1617
(Early English Books Online)

VOLUME THREE (Online screens 337-338--ed.)
Pg. 53:  ...Fromages (Cheeses)...
            ......Angelots (a kinde of Cheese) de Brie...
Pg. 54:  ..._Kings-Norton_ Cheese..._Sheffield_ knives..._Darby_
Ale..._Banberry_ Cake..._Tewksbery_ Mustard..._Devonshire_
Whitepots..._Lincolnshire_ Bellese and Bag-pipes...

MAKING LOVE (continued)

HOW TO ENJOY PARIS
by Peter Herve
Second Edition
London: Mr. Egerton
1818

Pg. 146:  In the lower description of shops, women are generally the venders;
the men are either walking about, playing vulgar game, serving as national
guards, cooking, washing, or scrubbing the rooms, making the beds or making
love.

("How to enjoy Paris" indeed!--ed.)