Manzana (1870); Chalupa (1892)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 13 18:28:02 UTC 2002

MANZANA

BRADSHAW'S ILLUSTRATED HAND-BOOK
SPAIN AND PORTUGAL
by Dr. Charnock
London: W. J. Adams
1870

Pg. 87:  The word _manzana_, so frequently used at Valencia, signifies "an
assemblage of houses bounded on every side by a street."

(The revised OED doesn't consider this English, I guess.  It was supposed
that this was from Mexico, but now it looks like it's from Valencia, Spain.
In the 1960s, Robert Gold's JAZZ TALK speculated that "the Big Apple" came
from "manzana."  There is NOT ONE SINGLE CITATION TO SUPPORT THIS.  This
information can be found on the New York Public Library's web page for "Big
Apple," where the work I donated so many years ago is completely absent--ed.)

CHALUPA

"The term dates in American print to 1895."
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999).

PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE CITY AND VALLEY OF MEXICO
by Emil Riedel
1892

   There is a nice "Bill of Fare" glossary that does NOT have "taco."  I'll
post a few items.

Pg. 112:
Chalupas--sandwiches
Chille (relleno)--red pepper (filled)
Enchiladas or envueltos--Mexican peppered rolls of corn bread
Pg. 113:
Nieve--kind of ice cream
Robalo--kind of bream
Salchicha, salchichon--sausage
Tamales--Aztec meat pies
Tortilla--thin Mexican corn bread; must be eaten hot

THE UNITED STATES, WITH AN EXCURSION INTO MEXICO
HANDBOOK FOR TRAVELLERS
by Karl Baedeker
Leipsic
1893

   There's a nice American vs. English list that I'll have to cut short
because of time.

Pg. XXIX:
Drummer, commercial traveller
Elevator, lift
Fall, autumn
Pg. XXX:
Help, servant
Prince Albert (coat), frock coat
Take out, An American takes a lady "out" to dinner, while an ENglishman takes
her "in."

OFF TOPIC:  HOLD THAT PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!