Windy City (17 June 1883); CINCY ENQUIRER baseball (1883)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 9 18:34:05 UTC 2002

   Greetings from the Library of Congress.  It's closed on Monday, so I thought I'd check for a "Windy City" and baseball items in the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER.  I'd found an ENQUIRER "Windy City" citation, reprinted in the NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE, from October 1883.

WINDY CITY
   17 June 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 4, col. 2:
WHILE the failure of McGeoch in Chicago yesterday created something of a pnaic in the Windy City by the lake and other speculative villages, all was serene in Cincinnati.

THEY'RE OFF!
   17 June 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 5:
Crowds pressed into Sheepshead race-course to-day after the cry "They're off!" arose from 10,000 voices when the horses started in the first race.

SACRIFICE HIT
   11 June 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 1:
In a communication to American SPorts correspondent is thus snesibly answered on the subject of the much-talked-of sacrifice hits...

WHITEWASH
   10 June 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 4:
THEIR FIRST WHITEWASH.
(3-0 score--ed.)

ELECTRIC LIGHTS
   2 June 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 7:
   BASE BALL BY ELECTRIC LIGHT.
SPECIAL DISPATCH TO THE ENQUIRER.
   FORT WAYNE, IND., June 1--THis evening the second test of playing base-ball by electric light was made on the local grounds in the presence of quite a number of persons, and proved quite a success.

UMPIRE MASK
   27 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 10, col. 3:
   THIS is the way a New York paper roasts an association umpire: "What on earth makes Kelly wear a mask while umpiring?  It would be impossible to spoil that mug of his, even if his breath did fail to change the course of the ball, which is hardly probable."

JONAH
   25 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 5, col. 5:
   ARE brass-bands "Jonahs?"
(Many other hits for "Jonah"--ed.)

DAISY
   20 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 11, col. 6:
In the third inning McCormick made a daisy three-bagger.

PONY TEAM
   19 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 6:
The fact that several of the directors have been out once or twice this week watching the "pony" team practice, and have requested Welhe to play right, seemed to indicate that somebody would get a vacation.

GOOSE EGG
   18 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 2:
"A Michigan goose-egg, laid by a Michigan goose and sent by a Michigander."--Boston Globe.
(7-0 score in Chicago-Detroit game--ed.)

SLUGGING
   17 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 4:
   A GOOD SLUGGING GAME.

MUFF
   9 May 1883, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, pg. 2, col. 1:
Maccius, their second man at the bat in this inning, was given first on Maculiar's muff of his fly.

(I don't have Paul Dickson's BASEBALL DICTIONARY here at the LOC to check these terms, but I thought I'd record them now--ed.)