Aku, Mahimahi (1836); Scampo (1890)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 9 20:04:58 UTC 2002

MAHIMAHI

A VOCABULARY OF WORDS IN THE HAWAIIAN LANGUAGE
by Lorrin Andrews
Lahainaluna: Press of the High School
1836

   A classic book.  I was looking for "tuna."  There's a lot more here, but I'll torch DARE and OED on just "aku" and "mahimahi."

Pg. 8:
A-KU, _s._ a species of fish called boneta.

Pg. 89:
LU-A, _s._ a pit, a hole, a grave, den.
(...)
LU-AU, _s._ the petal of a plant, boiled herbs.

Pg. 93:
MA-HI-MA-HI, _s._ a species of fish.

Pg. 120:
PO-I, _s._  the paste or pudding made of kalo, potatoes, or breadfruit.  It is made by baking the above articles and afterward peeling and pounding them with more or less water and when fermented it is eaten cold with the fingers.

SCAMPO

HANDBOOK OF THE MEDITERRANEAN:
ITS CITIES, COASTS AND ISLANDS
by Lieut.-Col. Sir R. Lambert Playfair
Third Edition, Revised
In Two Parts
London: John Murray
1890

   This book is recorded as "missing" in NYPL's CATNYP.  I haven't looked at the first two editions.
   There's not much food here, but it does have "scampi."  Merriam-Webster has that from 1925, and OED from 1928 and 1930.
   O.T.: I'd like to add that neither OED nor M-W pays for this cheap bus ride to Washington.  It's paid for by my listening to New York City's great citizens submit fake repair bills to excuse their parking tickets.  I must have had 20 liars before me yesterday!

PART II
Pg. 300, col. 1:
   The fish-market is worthy of a visit.  A specialite of Fiume in the way of fish is the so-called "Scampo" (_Nephrops Norvegicus_), a delicious kind of crayfish, from 4 to 8 in. in length.  It is found in the deeper parts of the Quarnero, where fresh-water springs abound, but is not met with elsewhere in the Adriatic.  It is caught by the Italian trawling-boats, _bragozzi_, which fish off these shores in winter.
   Tunny and mackerel, anchovy and pilchards, are the chief produce of summer fishing.