N.Y.C. (1901); Mahimahi vs. Meeting-house

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Nov 11 21:16:40 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:01:37PM -0500, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
> N.Y.C.

>    17 November 1901, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 24:
>    "Historical Day and Evening of the N.Y.C.C.D.A.R.," the latter being translated meaning New York City Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, are to be celebrated at Sherry's on Saturday, Nov. 30.
>
> (I'll do better.  I just what to see what Fred Shapiro comes up with--ed.)

He'll have to do better than 1891 to beat us, which I'm sure one of you
will do shortly.

> MAHIMAHI VS. MEETING-HOUSE
>
>    I ran the name "Lorrin Andrews" ("L. Andrews") through OED online.  The entry for "meeting house" came up.  This is a newly revised entry.
>    "1865 L. Andrews  Dict. Hawaiian Lang." is the first citation!  No brackets, either!

Yes, because the term "meeting house" occurs in the English text of the
dictionary! If the entry for _mahimahi_ had read, "_mahimahi,_ the
mahimahi fish, a kind of fish," then we'd put it in without brackets
too! In Andrews the phrase _meeting house_ is glossing a Hawaiian word.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED