Feijao, Cameron (1845)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 12 02:47:22 UTC 2002

SKETCHES OF RESIDENCE AND TRAVELS IN BRAZIL,
EMBRACING HISTORICAL AND GEOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF THE EMPIRE AND SEVERAL OF ITS PROVINCES
by the Rev. Daniel P. Kidder
in two volumes
Philadelphia: Sorin & Ball
1845

   OED has "feijao" from 1857 and an author named Kidder.
   Keep in mind that none of this is English until Jesse tells me it is.
   "Caipirinha" is still not English, so don't ask me.

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 97  ...mangoes, bananas, pomegranates, mammoons, goyabas, jambos, aracas, mangabas, and many other species of fruit...
(Mammoons?--ed.)

Pg. 274:  Most of the _carne secca_, or jerked beef, in common use throughout Brazil, is prepared here.After the hide is taken from the ox, the flesh is skinned off in a similar manner from the whole side, in strips about half an inch in thickness.  The meat, in this form, is stretched in the sun to dry.  But very little salt is used in its preservation.  When sufficiently cured, it is shipped to all the maritime provinces, and is the only kind of preserved beef used in the country.

Pg. 274:  These meats are not very inviting to the taste of an uninitiated foreigner, but those who persevere in their use for any length of time, particularly in connection with the _Feijao preto_, or black beans, never wonder at the partiality of the Brazilians for them.

Pg.278:  Little children, armed with their _lasso_ or _bolas_, make war upon the chickens, ducks, and geese of the farmyard, until their ambition and strength lead them into a wider field.
(OED has 1843 for "bolas"?--ed.)

Pg. 285:  I obtained a supper of _cangica_, boiled corn and milk, and a tolerable night's lodging.

Pg. 303:  There was also made here a large quantity of _guarapa_, the simple juice of the sugar-cane in a state of partial fermentation.  It is a beverage much esteemed and much used in this portion of Brazil.

Pg. 346:  Abridged from a work by LOUIS RIEDEL, Botanist, Rio de Janeiro.
(A list of Roots; Woods and Barks; Leaves and Herbs; and Fruits, Gums, Resins, Balsams, and Oils.  "Guarana" is here, for example, and OED has that from only 1838--ed.)

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 105:  With a little white sugar and lime-juice sprinkled over it (cocoa-nuts--ed.), it vies for delicacy with the choicest custard.

Pg. 166:  ...pirao*...
*The flour of mandioc, boiled.

Pg. 202:  The Senhor even assisted to skin my roasted _cameroens_, (shrimps,) protesting at the same time that they were miserable, and that I might have much better if I would only wait to have them caught and cooked.
(OED has 1880 for "cameron"--ed.)

Pg. 281:  The trade in gum-elastic, cacao, sarsaparilla, cloves, urucu, and Brazil-nuts, is more peculiar.
("Brazil nut" is only from 1830--ed.)

Pg. 285:  It is not generally known that the triangular fruit, called in England and the United States the Brazil-nut, is only produced in the northern parts of the empire.  It grows spontaneously in great abundance in the forests of the Amazon.  The Portuguese call it "_Castanha do Maranham_,"--the Maranham chestnut, it haveing first been exported from that province.

Pg. 325:  What is gained by the miners and the _garimpeiros_, as the diamond seekers are called, together with small quantities of ipecacuauha, constitute the whole amount of exports from the province.
(OED has "garimpeiro" from 1812, then 1869--ed.)

Pg. 328:  Its highest phase is represented in the character of the _vaqueiros_, or cattle proprietors.
(OED has this from 1826--ed.)

Pg. 334:  The milk of the cows is converted into a species of soft cheese, known as the _queijo de Minas_.