New Jersey hoagie

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Nov 13 17:06:55 UTC 2002

"Hoagie" is the operative term in South Jersey (Philadelphia influence), but
as far as I know "Jersey hoagie" is not a term that is widely used. (I never
heard it growing up, but it's been 20 years since I lived there.)

Googling turns up exactly one hit for "New Jersey hoagie" that eventually
links to a sub shop in Tampa, Florida. Searching on "Jersey hoagie" gets
only five others, all sub shops from around the US, none in NJ, but all
apparantly run by expatriate South Jerseyans. From the menu descriptions,
the "Jersey" or "South Jersey" hoagies are ordinary italian subs (Capicola,
Mortadella, Salami, Provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and Italian
dressing on a roll). No difference between them and what you would get in a
Philly hoagie.

It sounds like someone filled with local South Jersey pride is trying to
make a distinction without a difference.