American Periodical Series online; Scampi(1883?) & Bagel(1908?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 15 04:40:59 UTC 2002

AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE

   Yes, there are a _huge_ number of false hits on the American Periodical series online.
   The first "iced tea" was the one I gave here.  The earlier "hit" wasn't a hit.
   Take "canoodle"--please!  12 early false hits!
   Take "shyster."  Over 50 hits before Gerald Cohen's first citation, but none of them are for "shyster"!
   It's a tool.  The Gerritsen Collection search engine is poor, too.  But APS is going to get much better with the added publications, and it's definitely worth checking, despite the false early hits.
   All that time I wasted today looking for "canoodle" in medical publications!  AH!!!!

MISC.

SCAMPI?--The book FISHES OF THE ADRIATIC SEA (1883) is "off-site."  The New York Public Library is closed on Sunday and Monday, and the offsite fellows don't work on Saturday, so I should have an earlier "scampi" sometime next millennium.

BAGEL?--Look at the book THE SHORES OF THE ADRIATIC: THE AUSTRIAN SIDE--THE KUSTENLANDE, ISTRIA, AND DALMATIA (New York: E. P. Dutton and Company, 1908) by F. Hamilton Jackson.  There's a photo with the caption:
   "HERZEGOVINIAN WOMEN AT A BAKER'S SHOP IN RAGUSA
    _Frontispiece_"
   Ragusa is Dubrovnik.  The women are posing by a circular bread thing that looks an awful lot like a "bagel."  Or maybe it's a "donut"?  Take a look.