Mexican Shower; Geoduck (1909); Telegraph Stew (1870); Fado (1890)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 17 07:31:56 UTC 2002

MEXICAN SHOWER

   SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE is really bad.  A time-traveling Scott Joplin
interviewing women's tennis stars?  Was there a point or a joke that I
missed?
   In the show that just ended. "Michael Moore" was interviewed about the
liberal loss on election day.  Moore was asked if he bathes.  Moore said that
he takes a "Mexican shower"--washing just the face and armpits.
   I didn't find "Mexican shower" in the RHHDAS or in the CDS.  There aren't
many web hits.  Most of the "Mexican shower" hits are for porn sites--YOU can
check them.

GEODUCK (continued)

GILL'S DICTIONARY OF THE CHINOOK JARGON
compiled by John Gill
Fifteenth edition
Portland, Oregon: J. K. Gill Company
1909

Pg. 14:
Clams.  Razor clams, O'na.  little neck, Luck-ut-chee; quahang or large round
clams of Puget Sound is called "Smetock" on the northen coasts, and the
largest of all "go-duck."
(What date is the first edition, and who has it?...I spent all day looking at
Chinook language books, and this was the only one that had "geoduck"--ed.)

CHOIR'S PIONEER DIRECTORY OF THE CITY OF SEATTLE AND KING COUNTY:
HISTORY, BUSINESS DIRECTORY, AND IMMIGRANT'S GUIDE TO AND THROUGHOUT
WASHINGTON TERRITORY AND VICINITY
by M. Choir
Pottsville: Miners' Journal Book and Job Rooms
1878

Pg. 116 (THE EDITOR'S LECTURE ROOM):
   Clams are of three kinds, and very plentiful.  No starvation possible in
Puget Sound, for clam-bed crops never fail, and when the tide is out the
table is set, free to all the hungry that wish to eat.  Crabs, oysters, and
many other varities of fish are to be found here, a full description of which
will be given in my next number.

(Next number?  There's nothing after 1878!--ed.)

TELEGRAPH STEW

ALASKA AND ITS RESOURCES
by William H. Dall
Boston: Lee and Shepard
1870

   A fine book, but no "hoochino" antedate here.

Pg. 29:
   In the afternoon Ingechuk brought us some white grouse and some fresh
reindeer meat.  Of the latter a delicious dish was concocted, which I will
describe for the benefit of future ecplorers.  It was invented by the members
of Kennicott's party during the first year's explorations.  The frozen
reindeer meat was cut into small cubes about half an inche in diameter.  An
equal amount of backfat was treated the same way.  Hardly covered with water,
this was simmered in a stewpan for nearly an hour; water, pepper, and salt
being added as needed.  When nearly done, a little more water was added, and
the finely broken biscuit from the bottom of the bread-bag slowly stirred in,
until the whole of the gravy was absorbed.  This done, we sat down to enjoy a
dish which would have awakened enthusiasm at the table of Lucullus.  It was
known among the initiated as "telegraph stew," and the mere mention of its
name would no doubt touch, in the breast of any one of them, a chord of
electric sympathy.

FADO

   I went through some Portuguese books, but failed to find the Portuguese
donuts popular in Hawaii.  I was going to copy the books, but the NYPL was
packed this Saturday and I didn't want to spend an hour on line.  I made
light notes.

ROUND THE CALENDAR IN PORTUGAL
by Oswald Crawfurd
London: Chapman and Hall, Limited
1890

Pg. 54:  ...those strange airs into the minor key which the Portuguese call
_fados_...
(OED has 1902 for "fado"?--ed.)

Pg. 245:  ...-broa_ or black bread...

SPANISH LIFE IN TOWN AND COUNTRY
by L. Higgin
WITH CHAPTERS ON PORTUGUESE LIFE IN TOWN AND COUNTRY
by Eugene E. Street
New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons
1906

Pg. 294:  ...accompanied by a bit of rye-bread or of _broa_, the bread made
from maize.

SKETCHES OF PORTUGUESE LIFE, MANNERS, COSTUME AND CHARACTER
by A. P. D. G.
London: Geo. B. Whittaker
1826

Pg. 142:  ...delicious fruit (pinhoes)...

Pg. 169:  ...vacca com arros, or galinha com arros*...

Pg. 304:  ...cachaca (a species of rum)...
(What does OED have?  I found just one stray citation--ed.)

Pg. 311:  ...queijados...requeijoes...
(The former is described as a "white cheese."  Longer description this
page--ed.)

Pg. 320:  Bacalhao...
Pg. 321:  ...cajado...

Pg. 344:  ...balo padre... (Longer description this page--ed.)

Pg. 345:  ...atum... (Longer food description this page--ed.)

PORTUGAL: ITS LAND AND PEOPLE
by W. H. Koebel
London: Archibald Constable and Co. Ltd.
1909

Pg. 391:
   _Canja_, for instance, is a popular dish (Pg. 392--ed.) of chicken broth
and rice; _Cosido_ consists of boiled chicken, bacon, and sausage, with an
important foundation of rice, and these and many others beyond that are
similarly fortified.

Pg. 392:  _Guizado_ or _Ensopado_, as it is termed in the Alemtejo, a species
of Irish stew...