I'm From Missouri (2 May 1897); Hoggie (19 March 1944)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 30 18:09:01 UTC 2002

   Greetings from another trip to Philadelphia...I just realized that I left off Dave Wilton and Gerald Cohen from that short list of lexicographers on ADS-L.  You always leave off the obvious.

I'M FROM MISSOURI

   This was the purpose of my mini-trip today.  Also, I can't get any sleep if I'm not on a bus.
   From the PHILADELPHIA TIMES, 2 May 1897, pg. 13, col. 7:

_HE HAD NEVER_
   _SEEN A TUNNEL_
_A MISSOURIAN'S BIG SCARE IN THE_
   _MOUNTAINS._
>From a Correspondent of THE TIMES.
   COLORADO SPRINGS, April 26.
   "I'm from Missouri, and they'll have to show me!"
(The rest is the same as the WASHINGTON POST story.  I'll check out the DENVER POST tomorrow in Columbia University--ed.)

HOGGIE

   The following is the first of similar ads that ran every week.
   From the SOUTH PHILADELPHIA AMERICAN, 19 March 1944, pg. 6, col. 2:

   Get Your
 Italian Hoggie
     At