feeling/getting jiggy

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 6 07:53:03 UTC 2002

It's not surprising that terms such as "jiggy" show up in mainstream
newspapers.  I found 69 such items in over 120 articles in the Daily
Press, the newspaper of the Virginia Peninsula.  My findings are
published in American Speech, Winter 1999, Vol. _74,4,_ 369-388.

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/04/PN74725.DTL>

"http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0007A&L=ads-l&P=R2460"

> I then trundled off to the new Google News feed and popped in
> "jiggy". From the assorted news sources Google is covering, there
> are fourteen uses in the last thirty days (the time window for
> Google News' archives).
>
> Uses range from the San Francisco Chronicle (in the sports
> section) to the Guardian, the Miami Herald, Entertainment Weekly
> (not unexpected), Rolling Stone (ditto), E Online (double ditto)
> and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
>
> BizReport.com had an entire article devoted to CNN Headline News'
> decision to be more hip, titled "CNN News Gettin' Jiggy With da
> Jive Talkin'"
>
> Anyone know the origin of "jiggy"?
>
> Sal
> --
> 1900+ useful links for writers
> <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com