"quick a feet"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 8 20:51:45 UTC 2002

A real live example of one of those "a" + plurals we've been talking about...

In last night's deciding Game 5 of the National League Divisional
Series between the Braves and Giants, announcer Tim McCarver (from
some border state like Kentucky--I forget exactly which one) was just
about to make a point about how some infielders who are slow runners
nevertheless have quick feet as fielders, like Brooks Robinson (as he
explained afterward) or J. T. Snow, who had just made a nice play for
the Giants.  But in the middle of his utterance, the camera focused
on Snow blowing a bubble that exploded over his nose, and McCarver
shifted horses mid-sentence:

"It's always amazed me how a guy can can blow that big a bubble and
have that quick a feet."

larry