farm gate

Prof. R. Sussex sussex at UQ.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 9 21:20:55 UTC 2002

There is a type of cheap farm gate which consists of around 3
horizontal strands of wire, and a vertical "dropper" which is
attached to the far gate-post with two wire loops, one low and one
high. What names are used for this kind of gate in the US? (I have
around 20 in Australian English, and am curious to know whether these
are mirrored in America.)

Roly Sussex


Roly Sussex
Professor of Applied Language Studies
Department of French, German, Russian, Spanish and Applied Linguistics
School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies
The University of Queensland
Queensland 4072

Office: Forgan-Smith Tower 403
Phone:  +61 7 3365 6896
Fax:    +61 7 3365 2798
Email:  sussex at
School's website:

Language Talkback ABC radio:
Audio:  from


More information about the Ads-l mailing list