farm gate

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Oct 9 23:14:44 UTC 2002

        In south-central Kentucky we always called this a "gap," and I know no other name for it.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Prof. R. Sussex [mailto:sussex at UQ.EDU.AU]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 5:21 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: farm gate

There is a type of cheap farm gate which consists of around 3
horizontal strands of wire, and a vertical "dropper" which is
attached to the far gate-post with two wire loops, one low and one
high. What names are used for this kind of gate in the US? (I have
around 20 in Australian English, and am curious to know whether these
are mirrored in America.)