-lived

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 16 00:37:34 UTC 2002

If you want historical support here's W.S. Gilbert, in the Pirates of
Penzance with this rhyme:

To gain a brief advantage you've contrived
But your proud triumph will not be long-lived.

On a related note, for my Shakespeare pronunciation guide  (forgive me for
plugging it  but it's just out this month in paperback, from Routledge:
Pronouncing Shakespeare's Words: A Guide from A to Zounds) my survey of
scholars for the word "livelong" (in Julius Caesar and elsewhere) showed in
the US 15 to 2 in favor of the short vowel as opposed to the diphthong, with
a slightly higher percentage for the diphthong in the UK.

Dale Coye
NJ