DUI/DWI /dwh/dwp

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Oct 19 16:45:08 UTC 2002

> yOn Sat, 19 Oct 2002, paulzjoh wrote:
>
> > Then there are the insulting DW's
> > DWH= Driving While Hispanic
> > DWP= Driving While Polish
>
> Are these really current and really insulting?  DWB 'driving
> while black' is a phrase used by African-Americans and
> supporters to criticize racial profiling.  I'm not quite
> sure what sense the terms above would make, unless they are
> related to jokes taking DW in a very different direction
> from the DWB term.
>
> Fred Shapiro

Here in the Bay Area, I've heard "driving while Asian" with some frequency
in recent years. Unlike DWB, it most definitely is disparaging, referring to
the belief that Asians have poor driving skills. I've never heard the
initials, DWA, used in this context though, only the full phrase. It
definitely takes the term in another direction from DWB.