soccer usages

Scott Swanson harview at MONTANA.COM
Thu Oct 24 14:19:53 UTC 2002

I used to coach youth soccer in Montana. The positions were officially
designated as Fritz indicates; however, my players preferred the more
exciting sounding 'striker' for 'forward'. Sometimes we also used
'halfback' in place of 'mid'. When I played intramural in California
(years ago!) 'fullback' was more prevalent than 'defender'. As to
'goalie', AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization) issued an edict one
year that we were to say 'keeper' or 'goalkeeper' instead - but of course,
nobody paid any attention! 'Teams' and 'games' were the usual usage in our
league.

Scott Swanson