MIAT (Maybe I'll Arrive Tomorrow)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 9 02:10:10 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Korea.  My flight (KAL) never left the airport.  I sat next to a young woman from Mongolia (not my wife) who gave me these:

MIAT--"Maybe I'll Arrive Tomorrow."  This is the name of the Mongolian national airline, which I'll take once.

PROVERBS:

THEEN AKTHAI, DEEL ZAKHTAI--"Every deel (traditional Mongolian cloth) has collar, every man has a brother."
   (Means that every one have to have someone to guide you.)

SOTHKORII GAZAR SOKHAR, DOGLONGIIN GAZAT DOGLAN--"In a place with blind people be blind; in a place with limping people be limp."
   (Respect rules of new places.)

   From MORNING CALM, inflight magazine of Korean Air, September 2002:

Pg. 55:  The spring water is commonly called _yaksu_, or medicinal water.

Pg. 55:  ..._Chuseok_, or the Thanksgiving Day or August 15 on the lunar calendar.

Pg. 56:  The ritual is called _charae_, or ancestor memorial rites.

Pg.  The second item on the program of a temple stay is eating.  In Buddhism, eating food is also a form of offering.  It is called "_balu_," which means a bowl that can contain an appropriate amount of food. (...)
   The third item on the program is called "_chamseon_," or meditation. (...)
   The fourth item is called "_dado_," or the tea ceremony.
Pg. 65:
   The fifth item called "_tapdory_," or circling a _sarina_ (Buddha's relics) stupa.  Believers circle the stupa while extolling Buddha's teachings and praying for fulfillment.  This old form of prayer dates back 1,200 years.