Lite query

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Sep 14 18:04:09 UTC 2002

    This is from memory. In 1988 George Bush Sr. selected Dan Quayle
as his vice-presidential running mate. When the announcement was
made, Quayle bounded up to the microphone and addressed the assembled
crowd with an excess of exuberance somewhat unbecoming a potential
leader of the free world.

    The next day the Wall Street Journal's lead story reported on the
selection and public reaction to it. One person quoted said that
Quayle looked like a cross between Robert Redford and Daffy Duck.
Another described the Republican ticket as "Bush-Lite."

    Are there earlier uses of "Lite" outside a beer context to
indicate something unsubstantial? If not, "Bush-Lite" would be a
plausible beginning to this usage.

Gerald Cohen

P.S.
>I'm new to this list. I also feel compelled to
confess that I'm a journalist.

Welcome!