I got diphthongs out the gazoo!

Sun Sep 22 12:23:42 UTC 2002

Herb,

Assuming you are not counting the phoney [ij], [ej], [uw], and [ow],
I know of your [ay], [aw], [Oj], and (perhaps) [Iw] (if you really do
say "Tuesday" and "news" that way). I can't find your fifth.

But you must suspect that my losses of [aj] ("night" is nearly
homophonous with "not") and [Oj] ("oil" is nearly homophonous with
"all") have somehow reduced my diphthongal inventory, while, in fact,
my number so far outstrips yours as to leave you panting on the
tundra you call home:

[aj] as in bait
[ej] as in beat
[i@] as in bit (@ = schwa)
[e@] as in bet
[aej] as in bat
[aew] as in bout
[aw] as bought

This without referring to the fact that with drawling any monophthong
can be made a diphthong and the above diphthongs can all be made
triphthongal.

Stick with low front vowel raising. You out of your league when it
comes to thonging.

dInIs