/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 25 20:48:48 UTC 2002

Laurence Horn said:
>At 3:15 PM -0400 9/25/02, Mark A Mandel wrote:
>>On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>>
>>#GaraZH has always sounded like some affectation.
>>
>>Your problem, not mine. That's how I learned it growing up.
>>
>>And /vaz/ more than /vejz/ or /vejs/
>>
>According to my students, it depends on the value/price.  Over $300
>or so, it's a VAHZ.  Otherwise, just a VEYS.  I guess that may be
>seen as going along with "affectation".

When I was a kid, that was the standard account of the two
pronunciations. Of course the price point differentiating them would
have been different.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963