Affected French.... was /zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 26 06:00:19 UTC 2002

Ahh... so I should be looking for a two car garazh, insted of a lowly one car
gradzh....

But seriously... about all this French affectation business... I have a
friend who, for the first two years I knew him, refused to drink /pinya/
coladas because he didn't want to sound like he was affecting a Spanish
accent.  This carried over to any word he thought sounded "foreign".  His
line was something like: it's not his language, any attempt at accuracy would
be butchery, so just give up the ghost.

So where do we draw the line between honest attempts and affectation?  (Below
I-64 is not an acceptable answer...)

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
University of Texas - Austin