Teddy Bear (1902-2002); Egg Balls; HK Slang, Restaurant Books

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 26 06:09:11 UTC 2002

TEDDY BEAR

"I just wanna be your teddy bear."
--Elvis

   The Teddy Bear Kingdom (Hong Kong) had the usual.  There wasn't a book or a pamphlet on the teddy bear.  I copied stuff from the exhibits.
   We are nearing the 100th anniversary, so Fred Shapiro might want to write a WASHINGTON POST article.  (Not me, of course; the Cindy Loose "Windy City" article and the lack of a WP correction or even a WP ombudsman response is just one more reason for me to always be sad.)
   The WASHINGTON POST "Drawing the Line at Mississippi" Berryman cartoon appeared 16 November 1902.
   Steiff (a German company; still selling bears and advertising the 100th anniversary of the "teddy bear" on its gift shop products) produced the first bears in 1902, but did NOT call them "teddy bears."
   Morris Michtom, a Brooklyn candy store owner, formed the Ideal Novelty and Toy Company in 1903 and is credited with the first named "teddy bear."
   Please check NEW YORK TIMES full text for "teddy bear(s)," "stuffed bear(s)," "bear(s)" and doll(s)," and whatever else.

EGG BALLS

   A Hong Kong waffle guy sells "egg balls."  They're available in taro, sesame/coconut, and chocolate (the one I went for).  Not bad.
   Check the usual databases.

HK SLANG, RESTAURANT BOOKS

   I checked in a bookstore for slang and food books.  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG is sold here.

"ONE DOLLAR ONE LOOK"
THE WISDOM OF THE CHINESE IN HONG KONG
OVER FIFTY YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT AND SUCCESS
(author?)
First published in 2001 by
Hong Kong History Society
General Post Office Box 7304
Hong Kong
64 pages, paperback, 83 HK dollars ($14)

   All that's available for "slang."  Chapters include:
Pg. 14:  _The Subtleties of Cantonese Slang_
Pg. 17:  _The Ambivalence of Cantonese Slang_
Pg. 46:  _Evolutionary Stages of Cantonese Slang_
Pg. 54:  _Appendix I Slang and Proverbs_
Pg. 56:  _REFERENCE BOOKS_
Pg. 58:  _Glossary_

HONG KONG'S BEST RESTAURANTS 2002
(http://www.hkbestrestaurants.com)
Compiled by the Editors of Hong Kong Tatler
264 pages, paperback, 118 HK dollars ($19)
Hong Kong: Illustrated Magazine Publishing Co., Ltd.
2001

   There are coupons in the back that I'll mail to you if you're interested.  Each restaurant is described by SETTING, FOOD, WINE, SERVICE, and PRICE.
   There is a GLOSSARY OF CULINARY TERMS on pages 241-245 that I'll soon check against the OED.  For OED editors revising "m," I'll just list a few letter entries:

Pg. 243:
Maki
Masala
Marsala