Teddy Bear (1902-2002); Egg Balls; HK Slang, Restaurant Books

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 26 11:43:39 UTC 2002

With regard to "Teddy bear":  I already had checked this on ProQuest
Historical Newspapers and it didn't have an antedating.  My recollection
from having researched this over 20 years ago is that the first appearance
in print was probably in an issue of the trade journal "Playthings" of
which there did not appear to be any surviving copies.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,