/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu Sep 26 20:39:39 UTC 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

#Frenchification (as the unmarked "foreign" pronunciation) is also a
#good MA thesis (which I have never seen). I'm always amazed to hear
#Hungarian words (with their stress unfailingly on the first syllable)
#rendered with a French stress (on the end, of all places!). I have
#even head classical announcers deliver barTOK and koDALY, made even
#funnier by their almost correct rendition fo the -daly syllable.

ISTM there's a simpler explanation for that than "Frenchification":
misinterpretation of the Hungarian acute accent, which is (basically) a
long-vowel marker, as a Spanish-style stress marker.

-- Mark A. Mandel