Andelope; Guardian Effect/Happiness Economics

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 30 17:59:31 UTC 2002

   I've caught up on my reading of the NEW YORK OBSERVER, a dying NYC weekly
whose best reporters have fled to other papers/magazines.  I no longer pay
for it, but they send it anyway, so I read it.

ANDELOPE--23 September 2002, NEW YORK OBSERVER, pg. 4, col. 2:
_STALKING THE ANDELOPE_
TO THE EDITOR:
   Thanks to Adam Begley for his prescient dissection of B. R. Myers' _A
Reader's Manifesto_ ("DeLillo Pretentious?  Stupid?  Literary Pugilists Throw
Punches," Aug. 26-Sept. 2).
   The "andelope"--Mr. Meyers' term for breathless sentences strung together
by the word "and"--was a royal road into Mr. Myers' ignorance that Mr. Begley
chose not to take.  The "andelope" is a stylistic device with a distinguished
pedigree stretching back further than the Gospel of St. Mark, to the genesis
of Genesis. (...)

GUARDIAN EFFECT/HAPPINESS ECONOMICS--16 September 2002, NEW YORK OBSERVER,
pg. 13:
_Want an Extra $110K a Year?_
_Forget the Raise--Say "I Do"_
(...)  Married men, in particular, thrive compared with unmarried men, due
largely to what sociologists refer to as the "guardian effect" of their wives
(although there are some guys in a bar near me who have a less genteel phrase
for that phenomenon).
   Mr. Oswald's paper and other studies of "happiness economics" take survey
data on people's well-being and use mathematical analysis to correlate the
amount of satisfactionb derived from specific events to differen t sums of
money, thus coming up with a precise monetary value of life events.

(That's an idea--I should get married!  OK, everybody, listen up!  I've done
research and writing for 25 years!  I've made a total of $1,000!  Plus,
people hate me and give me no respect!  Now, y'all line up right here!--ed.)