Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (1807,1818,1836,1840)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 12 21:22:24 UTC 2003

   John Mariani's ENYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK has "chief cook and bottle washer" from 1840.

(NORTH AMERICAN WOMEN'S LETTERS AND DIARIES)
Sedgwick, Catharine Maria. "Letter from Catharine Maria Sedgwick to Robert Sedgwick, July 08, 1818"
[Page 106 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
of a preparation of dinner for a brace of clergymen and their wives, who had just come in upon us. You may imagine it produced some confusion of ideas. The roar of the cataract of Niagara and the stirring of a custard; the sweet image of les belles soeurs and the heaven-forsaken visage of my chief cook and bottle-washer; the rush of thoughts occasioned by the arrival of the fair foreigner, and the sedative of Cousin Mary White's monotonous looks and voice; the glowing image of Margaret; the sweet, maternal tones of our dear Jenny's sweet voice; Harry's `cooing noises,' and the ringing of plates, and

Results Bibliography
Sedgwick, Catharine Maria, 1789-1867, Letter from Catharine Maria Sedgwick to Robert Sedgwick, July 08, 1818, in Life and Letters of Catherine M. Sedgwick. Dewey, Mary E.. New York, NY: Harper & Row, 1871, pp. 446. [Bibliographic Details] [Biography] [7-8-1818] S75-D027

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
American Turf Register and Sporting Magazine (1829-1844), New York; Jul 1836; Vol. 7, Iss. 11
  The life and adventures of Pete; T C F; pg. 496, 5 pgs
Pg. 497:  He was constantly seen in the thickest of the crowd: "chief cook and bottle washer."

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
1. Ioor, William [Author Record]
The Battle Of The Eutaw Springs (1807) 205Kb
THE BATTLE OF THE EUTAW SPRINGS, AND EVACUATION OF CHARLESTON; OR THE GLORIOUS 14th OF DECEMBER, 1782. A NATIONAL DRAMA, IN FIVE ACTS. 203Kb
Found 2 hit:
Main text 199Kb
ACT V. 33Kb
Scene 18Kb
...Oliver Matthew Queerfish, esquire; chief  cook and bottle washer to his...
...Queerfish, esquire; chief cook and  bottle washer to his august majesty...

2. Lindsley, A. B. (Abraham B.) [Author Record]
Love And Friendship; Or, Yankee Notions (1809) 148Kb
LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP; OR, YANKEE NOTIONS: A COMEDY, IN THREE ACTS. 147Kb
Found 2 hit:
Main text 144Kb
ACT II. 49Kb
SCENE IV 16Kb
...[Stage direction] Why sometimes I acts  cook, steward, cabin boy, sailor, mate,...
...cabin boy, sailor, mate, and  bottle washer, for matter 'f that,...

1. Fay, Theodore S. (Theodore Sedgwick), 1807-1898 [Author Record]
The Countess Ida: A Tale of Berlin . . . Volume 1 (1840) 600Kb
The Countess Ida: A Tale of Berlin . . . Volume 1 597Kb
Found 2 hit
Main text 592Kb
CHAPTER XXI. 17Kb
...he's our right-hand man---our chief  cook and bottle-washer; and, what's very...
...right-hand man---our chief cook and  bottle-washer; and, what's very remarkable, too,...