Wine names from 1859-60

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Apr 14 06:16:58 UTC 2003

>...Barry Popik's earliest citation for "blush wine" is 1984.  Is the
>following a
>synonym?
>
>"Making schiller wine.---

No.  "blush wine" is white wine from red grapes, which comes out in a
range of reddish colors.  It is made by using red grapes and keeping
the skins on for only a short period of time - enough to just color
the wine.  I think it was Sutter Home who came out with a white
zinfandel and were the first to call their product "blush wine".  It
was/is quite sweet - sort of like a spiked Kool-Aid.  If one excludes
all the rosé wines, the first produce of this type of wine here, I
think, was Caymus, with their Oeil du Perdrix (Eye of the Partridge),
which was a bone dry white Pinot Noir.  Unfortunately, we just found
out they don't have it anymore.  It was my favorite wine.  Foo.

Rima