Early American Newspapers & Evans Digital

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 28 16:05:30 UTC 2003

FYI, a response from the Readex people on Early American Newspapers and Evans Digital.  Early American Newspapers is almost useless in microfilm form and without an index.  You have to spend weeks and weeks and kill your eyes to find anything...The U.S. Congressional Serial Set is not a haven for "doughnuts" and "jonnycakes," so I'm not exactly pleased by their decision.
--Barry Popik

  Subj:    RE: Early American Newspapers in digital format?
  Date:    4/28/2003 10:46:52 AM Eastern Standard Time
  From:    "Hornstra, Jim" <jhornstra at newsbank.com>
  To:    "'Bapopik at aol.com'" <Bapopik at aol.com>
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Mr. Popik,

Management has not yet made a decision regarding a digital version of Early
American Newspapers.

However, following the highly favorable response to Evans Digital Edition
(sixty-five institutions have chosen Evans Digital to date including
Columbia University), management has decided that the next collection to be
digitized will be the U.S. Congressional Serial Set (1817-1980), an
important and enormous collection consisting of approximately 12 million
pages. A description of the collection will be found at our web site at:

http://www.readex.com/doccoll/serlset.html

A demo of the Serial Set with a sample of 38 documents (some of which are
incomplete) will be found at:
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/?user=ncdserial

When prompted please enter (case sensitive):

username: ncdserial
password: ncdset

The Serial Set will be released in phases, beginning with the pre-Civil War
Period, followed by the Civil War through the end of the 19th Century.

Additional imprints from Evans Digital Edition are being released monthly,
with completion scheduled for June 2004. As of the last update (March 2003),
over 633,000 pages are available on-line.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact me.

Jim Hornstra
Account Executive
Readex Academic & Research Library Division
NewsBank, Inc.

(800) 762-8182    Fax: (239) 263-3004
jhornstra at newsbank.com

Readex on the web:  http://www.readex.com