Pronunciation of "death, dead"

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Tue Apr 29 22:02:23 UTC 2003

<<So, the phrase 'fish and chips' is the shibboleth: feesh and cheeps in OZ
and fush and chups in NZ.>>

>Is there an accepted theory as to why Australia is called "Oz"?  Noting the
>juxtaposition of "NZ" and "OZ" in your post, and the way you capitalize "OZ",
>I can't help wondering if "OZ" is an acronym for "Old Zealand" as opposed to
>"New Zealand".

No particular reason really.  It just sticks out to capitalise both.  Surely, it's not an acronym for 'Old Zealand.'  I have heard that it gained in popularity (if not originated) with "The Wizard of Oz," but I have never investigated that and I am not sure whether that suggestion was made in earnest.  (Maybe such a discussion was made on this list)

Fritz